On Monday, May 9th, 2011, we, as a middle school, went to the Hogle Zoo on a field trip, so we could do a scavenger hunt and find things in the zoo that related to all of our classes. At home, I dressed especially warm because I knew that it was going to be a rainy day. I brought my ipod, (so I could take pics and videos for our scavenger hunt) my poncho, and an umbrella, and a lunch. I was excited because little did I know that it would be freezing at the zoo, and that we would be wet and cold all day. After the bus ride, almost as soon as I got out of the bus, I stepped into a stream of water, flowing down the slanted blacktop in a dent in the cement. Great. The whole rest of the day, my feet would be uncomfortable and cold and pruney. The rain continuously poured over our heads, and this wasn't just some drizzle. This was a fairly big rainstorm with a little bit of thunder. Most of us had the good sense to bring an umbrella, and as soon as we felt the first drop of wet, we pulled them out. I got together with my group and we had our hunt paper. We had to find different animals and plants in the zoo that we could record in either film or photo. We walked around and around finding things, taking pictures of random trees, filming clips of bird sounds, finding animals and their visible adaptations, interviewing zoo workers, and much, MUCH more. We spent a lot of time with the elephants, and we filmed each other talking about the exhibit, but we didn't exactly do it right. We were supposed to do it in our language we are learning at school, in my case Arabic, and we were just yelling in English the whole time, arguing and not being able to concentrate. But we got over it, and got back to work. In the primates (monkey) building, there was a radiator that was warm, if not hot, and we were so relaxed by the heat that we just sat on it and enjoyed the warmth until we had to get back on track. Back into the constant rain...back into our misery. :)We had lunch in the middle of the whole field trip, and we went to The Bistro, the only restaurant we could see that was open. After we ate our packed lunches, a couple of people in my group had some money, and they bought some delicious, salty french fries for our group to share. After that, we went and tried to finish the scavenger hunt. We didn't finish, but we got back on the bus, happy to be finished, and ecstatic that we got to finally sit down and rest.
Today, we went on another field trip. This one was especially lame because we have half day on Fridays, getting out at 12:15, and we left at 9:30 to get to Kennecott Copper Mines, we got there at about 10:15 (I think), and we only had like, and hour there before we had to leave. It felt like 30 minutes, though. We even had to do a worksheet about the place! We watched two movies there about the copper and Bingham Canyon's history, then we looked at the enormous tires that belong to copper-carrying trucks that are as big as houses. Then we looked into the deep pit that was the mine and we left. That is it for field trips for me this year. My favorite one this year was when we went to go see African Cats in theaters on Earth Day, after cleaning up the school. I just can't wait for summer...it is going to be the best summer ever, I hope!
No comments:
Post a Comment