I can live for two months on a good compliment.
~Mark Twain
I just came across this quote.
What do I think about it? Well, I can see that it was intended to be good. And I can see lots of good in it. I think Mark is very inspired by the fact that people are kind, so he just soaks it up and is grateful for two months. What I do wonder, however, is if he is saying he lives on a compliment someone gave to him. In that case, I would hope that was not the only way for him to live for two months. I would hope that he could have faith and confidence in himself, and that's what would keep him going.
What I've learned is that knowing BY YOURSELF that you are enough in life is what should keep you going. You should never have to rely on other people to tell that you are talented, beautiful, intelligent, etc. so you can feel content with yourself. Everyone is one or more of those things in their own way. Everyone has talents. We must know that for ourselves. If somebody tells us that we are incapable, or ugly, or stupid, we should not let it affect us, because it is NEVER true. Yeah, it's gonna be hard. It is INFINITELY hard for me. But. Everyone has something good in them. Everyone has at least one talent, and let me tell you--AT LEAST one. Odds are you have tons more. And you should know that.
So, friends. I must say that I really love when I see people be kind to others. I LOVE when I see someone SHOW LOVE for someone else. That alone could keep me going for two months (or more). I hope that's what Mr. Twain meant when he wrote/said those words. If not--if he meant that people must tell him he is good enough for him to be happy with himself--then I hope nobody has that in their minds. Yes. It is incredibly wonderful when someone tells you "good job" or "you are so awesome!" or something along those lines... :)...and you should definitely be so grateful. But it shouldn't be all you think you need.
I encourage all human beings to gain confidence in themselves. Find your worth, because it is SO there. And then let THAT keep you happy for two months. Heavenly Father wants us to be happy. He's gonna give us hard times and people that cause us hard times. It is to test us. And when those things batter us down, we can shout to the world that can sometimes be cruel that WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH. We must know that for ourselves.
That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment