Sunday, October 20, 2013

Dear Mr. Green,

Uh, I figured that you would be a very appropriate person to receive my second thank-you letter, especially seeing as I just finished one of your books yesterday.

I don't know if you always wanted to be a writer, but can I thank you for being a writer? And for working on it and being a very good one at that? I don't know, but your book The Fault in Our Stars really touched me a lot. You wrote it so magically. And I think you put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into it too, so that's awesome. Just please know that you've affected lives of many readers. You've opened up their minds.

I have a little brother who had cancer. (He's done with it now, thank heavens.) But during that time, I was kind of like Hazel's parents. Sort of. My parents were more like Hazel's parents since they know what it's like to be...well, parents. And parents of a child with cancer. It's just that no one knows what cancer is really like unless they've had it closely in their life, which I have. And it's absolutely terrible. But somehow you get through it. You know? I had a very great sympathy for a few those characters in that book, and for others, great empathy, because the whole time I feel that I could really relate.

I thought it was interesting that Augustus wants so badly to leave his mark on the world. To do something memorable. But he matters to people in life. The whole world shouldn't have to know about him, only the people that are in his life now and care about him.
I really like that he doesn't smoke. Because since he was already sick enough and didn't have much control over that, I love that he found a metaphorical way to have control over death. To not let something that has power to kill him...kill him.
I could go on about the book. But must not now.

Just thanks. You wrote this book. Somehow, this book found me. And someway, I decided to pick it up and read it, and it impacted my life. And I will be forever grateful.

Yours with great admiration, 

Alessia Love
(age 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment