Sunday, August 19, 2012

Girl's Camp 2012

Summer posts are like this.
All about vacations, camps, etc...
And I am proud to say that this is the last one. The last of all the vacation posts. Aren't you happy?! I am, let me tell you...

We left on July 31st to Heber for my third Girl's Camp. We were in tents, so when we got there, we pitched them right up--(Well, I wouldn't say right up)--and we set up camp. We met with the stake for opening ceremonies, rules, certification, then dinner. We ate taco salad, but as I was still struggling with food allergies, I couldn't eat much...
That night we had a fireside. Chris Belcher (I think that's how you spell her name) came and spoke to us. It was about being a "Keeper of His Light." She was really inspirational and she made us all really think. She is blind, and her story is heartbreaking yet touching, because even though she's lost her eyesight, she hasn't lost herself. She's become stronger, and she's become a better person. She was a crack up and a very nice lady!
As she was speaking, a storm was brewing AROUND us. It never dropped on top of us. And as she was bearing her testimony, a ray of sunlight shined straight on her. It was beautiful. When the Stake Presidency spoke, there was a stunning pink sunset in front of them. When it got dark, we had our singing trees moment. We had to stop and move inside the pavilion when the rain came down. Being out in nature was at times dirty, hot, and sweaty, but there were moments when I really felt at peace and appreciated all the creations.
When our ward went back to camp, I shared a story about prayer for the Mia Maids devotional of the evening, and then we went to bed. Or rather, TRIED to go to sleep. We had some rowdy girls...I'm just throwing that out there...

The next day we had more certification, but the craziest part of the day was swimming in Beaver Lake! There was a zipline that when across the lake. One person would go at a time, sitting in a chair, waiting for the rope to end and zing them out of the chair, into the water halfway across the lake. Doesn't make sense? Sorry, I don't really know how to explain it. But let me try again. I sat on the chair and I started zipping down the line in the chair. When the rope behind me ended, the chair flung me into the water. Instead of thinking "Los Muchachos!" and going straight out, I leaned forward out of the chair and belly-flopped SO HARD into the water from about 10-15 feet up. My life jacket broke when I slammed against the water, and it hurt so bad. I realized that I had a burn and bruise on my leg. Yeah, I didn't really want to go off that thing again...
Another girl went on and the rope behind her actually broke! She just kept on going...didn't feel the zing...and when she realized that she didn't get launched into the water, she just jumped out! If she had stayed in, she would have smacked into the pole on the other side of the lake.
Don't worry, they fixed the zipline. :)
Since each ward was assigned to a boat, and ours was the Pirate ship, we raided all the other ward's flags. And then, when we had skits that night, we proved how we were the strongest ship and we destroyed all the other boats. At the end, we realized it wasn't a good idea to do that! Our littlest beehives recited a poem that made all the other wards forgive us. :)
It went like this:

We are pirates,
we feel sad.
We did wrong,
so here's your flag.

One of the beehives came up with it. It was cute.

The next day we went swimming again, in Aspen Lake, and went off a different zipline. I was super hesitant to go because I didn't want to kill myself. I was afraid. But they convinced me to go, and I did! This time, I thought "Los Muchachos!" and went straight into the water. It didn't hurt, even though the water was cold and really not clean. Besides, the zipline wasn't as high, and it was a lot more fun.
I think my favorite part about our last full day there was the goldfish races. We got to pick a REAL LIVE goldfish from a bucket and name it. Mine was named Lebron Jr. He was cute, but he didn't win the tournament. I tried...I put him in the little water gutter, squirted behind him with the squirt gun, tried to get him to swim to the end, but the other fish beat him. A fish named Fishy one the whole tourny. It was fun. But it was sad because after we put our fish back into the water bucket, it accidentally got knocked over without anyone knowing! Later, they found dead fish sprawled on the ground next to the tipped bucket. Poor Lebron Jr.
We also, to soften the other ward's hearts even more, went and "raided" them again. But we really just threw them candy and necklaces. During that time, our Young Women's president brought around a speaker that was booming the Pirates of the Caribbean song. That was so funny.


We ate dinner later, then had testimony meeting, which is actually my favorite part. It was very spiritual, and I had a great time bearing my testimony, even though I didn't cry this time. I don't really know why, but I still felt the spirit. And I loved having the Bishop and his wife come speak to us while we ate Morp.

The last morning we packed up, ate breakfast, and went home. Most of the wards weren't packed before breakfast, so we were laughing on the way home when we saw them loading up their trailers still. Haha!
It was a good year. I am grateful to everyone who worked so hard on it. Thanks!

(Sorry for grammar mistakes, I am NOT editing this. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment