Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Company And A Happy Me!

SO, I haven't posted about this, but I decided that it's important I do, so here it goes:
On Wednesday, June 1st, I tried out for the performing company at On Broadway: Robbins Music Theater Academy, where I have been taking private voice, and where I took Triple Threat. I have been LOVING it there and it is such an amazing place run by a lady named Mindy Smoot Robbins who has Broadway credits, and there are so many qualified teachers who teach there, also. Anyway, at first, Annalece (one of the directors of Company, and my summer voice teacher), taught us a dance combination to "Footloose", and then taught us a tap combination to "Forget About the Boy" from Thoroughly Modern Millie. At my particular try-out (there were two), I think there was only one person out of all who actually knew how to tap, so I didn't feel alone. :)
We went to the stage three at a time to audition our dances. In front of Mindy, Annalece, and Jennifer Madsen (one of the newest teachers) we danced. Once with Annalece, once without on both dances, and I was a little unsure of myself, if I were being honest, because we didn't have the longest time to learn and rehearse, or at least it seemed like that because there were butterflies in my stomach and I was pretty nervous, but nevertheless, I had a ball dancing. It was super! My group left the room and we waited for the singing section of auditions. When all the dances were done, I think I was like, number sixteen to sing. I walked back into the room, hooked up my ipod, and played the minus track for "What I Did For Love" and sang. For only a couple of lines. They said stop before I got to the best part! But, I still always have fun singing up onstage whether I am at an audition, or at a performance! I went home wishing I could have done a little better, and thought about my options if I didn't make company: voice with Annalece, Thoroughly Modern Millie at my school. I would be okay...at first, I felt kind of sad thinking about that, but when Mindy called my mom to tell her I didn't make Company, I was alright with my alternatives. I would also be taking a tecnique dance class in order to work on my dancing skills, because that was the reason I didn't make the team, as Mindy had told my mom on the phone. I needed to improve in dance, and I was ready to work my hardest, because this is what I really love to do, is sing, dance, and act. I also felt a bit better because I was first alternate, meaning, if someone already on Company quit or moved or something, I would take their spot. So, I was good.
Okay, so, yesterday, I went to my first SUMMER private voice lesson with Annalece, and I have to say, I had a really fun time. For it, I am singing "At Last" by Etta James, and "A Change In Me" from Beauty and the Beast. I am excited for my last three lessons of the summer! After that, I went to Young Women's, and when I came back, I wrote the Idaho post, and looked up "See No More" by Joe Jonas just for fun on Youtube. I was sitting there and my mom came into her room where I was and said she had to tell me something. I was freaking out a little because she sounded serious and I HATE when she tells me bad news. What she told me was that when I was at Young Women's, she got a call from Annalece. She said that Annalece said that after the voice lesson, she realized she made a mistake. She called and told Mindy that, and she and Mindy both agreed that I could be on Company. Well, technically there can't be more that sixteen people on the team, and they had already chosen sixteen people, but they created a spot for me. When I heard these words I was dumbfounded. Never would I have thought that they would do that for me. I mean, I only imagined at the very most an open spot that I could take, not an extra one! How unexpected, and how humbling for me. That just makes me want to be the very best I can be, and not have them regret putting me on Company. I am so grateful and excited and just plain happy for this opportunity, and I believe I will have the time of my life. Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment