When Nathanael was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia our family was thrust into a hole of isolation, loneliness, and sadness. I was eleven years old. I didn't feel it so much, but you can bet my mom did. She was heartbroken. It was hard to see her the way she was. And Nathanael got all the attention. Aaron, Gabby, and I were thrown under the bus. And it was hard. But it was especially hard because feeling abandoned is oftentimes what a cancer sibling will feel...and then it leads to guilt because you realize, oh yeah, my brother has cancer and he's suffering. No wonder everyone is paying attention to him more than me.
I didn't once think he'd die though. I didn't have that worry lurking by me everywhere I went. I remember when my dad sat me down on the couch with my brother and sister and told us Nathanael had cancer. I just thought "it'll be okay. The doctors can take care of it." I wonder why I was so lucky to have felt that complete comfort. Life would have been much worse for me without it. I might have felt more like Mom did, or even Dad. So I guess I get to thank my Father in Heaven for giving me that.
I just want to thank Camp Hobe with all of my heart and soul because without it, I would not be this Alessia Dawn Love that I am. We were eligible to go because of our cancer cutie. Though that was the hardest thing in our lives up 'til now, I'm almost glad we were blessed with that trial. Without it, our doors would never have been open to things like Make A Wish Foundation, Hope Kids, Lighthouse Family Retreat, and, of course, Camp Hobe. See? There is always light after dark. Light PENETRATES the dark. Dark cannot cover light. It just doesn't work like that.
And, besides, in D&C 121: 7-8 it says:
7. My son, peace be unto they soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8. And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
I live by this.
My Song to Camp Hobe (just lyrics):
(chorus)
Thank you
for the times we had
for the love you made me feel
for connections that are real
Thank you
for taking things like that off my mind
for giving me the best friends
for holding my hand 'til the end
(verse 1)
Running up the stairs
and through the stream
I couldn't do
But I was fine
'cause the rest of the world was mine
I had dreams occur and reoccur
those lengthy nights
it made it better
'cause we were all there together
(repeat chorus)
(verse 2)
people thought that I
was really cool
you knew I was
you told me so
so thanks for letting me know
we were free to run
around and play
we'd dance and sing
everyone could
we belonged just like we should
and you changed my life
oh
(repeat chorus)
Thank you
for helping my mom and dad
for teaching me my favorite songs
for making winter not so long
Thank you
for letting me laugh so hard
for carrying me when I would fall
for sticking with me through it all
No comments:
Post a Comment