Sunday, December 1, 2013

Dear Santa Clause,

It's happy Christmastime in the city! December just rolled along, and here we are, the first of the month. Where did November go?! Thanksgiving was just being anticipated only a few days ago. Then it went by, just like all the other days do, and somehow we are reaching a close of this year. And now it's your time to shine.

You are one of my favorite fantasies, you know that? My whole life I looked at you as this amazing person who gives gives gives. I tried countless Christmas Eves in my younger years to catch you with my brother. I never did. And now I know why. Now that I know you were only a figment of our imaginations all along, it so makes sense. But honestly, this world has made you so real. Gabby just learned that you don't exist, so that leaves Nathanael. But I'm not sure how much he actually understands about the whole thing, so we don't have to pretend in our home anymore. 

With all that said, I still believe in you. 
No, really. I do. I do I do I do. I see you in my parents, who still take the time to prettily wrap up gifts and place them perfectly under the tree. Who are loving and giving to us ALL year round--it's insane. And who definitely know whether we've been bad or good. I see you in my grandma AA who hand-makes gifts for our families each Christmas, who invites us to her house every month, who reminds us that our family loves each other and needs to share moments together. I see you in my other grandparents who LOVE TO EAT. Cookies, milk, cake, pie, disgusting foods that I hate but they love so it's okay. :) I see you in the people who mean most to me in life. Who make Christmas and all the other times so much better. So maybe YOU, as in the chubby old man with a white beard, red nose, red suit, and black boots, don't actually exist. It's the idea of you that exists here with me.

And I love how you are able to see past the commercial side of Christmas. We don't celebrate Christmas because of you, and you know that. CHRISTmas is all about CHRIST. See, my parents and grandparents love Christ and have taught me to do so as well. Selflessness is one of the qualities I admire about you. You give. You give. And you give. And I'm sure it takes a lot. I mean who, besides you, would ever be able to travel in the frigid winter night on a sleigh pulled by reindeer to ever house in the whole wide world? Nobody I can think of. 

So thanks for all that. And thank you for being one of the best parts of my childhood.

So wishing I could meet you someday, 

Alessia Love

No comments:

Post a Comment