Saturday, July 21, 2012

Tour

Company tour to St. George happened a good while back-- (end of June.) BUT, how could I not write about it?! So here it goes:

Wednesday, we drove down. That night we ate dinner at Brick Oven. I totally went hog wild eating pizza (dairy and wheat, oh my!) and the next day my throat pain came back full-blast. Ouch. But I had the whole night to enjoy before my sore throat happened. We drove down to Tuachan Ampitheater after dinner. Fantastic place if you ask me. We got ready by the mini ampitheater, and we kicked off our first performance with "My Strongest Suit." The show went by in 20-ish minutes, and after the final bows, we exited the stage to get dressed and ready for Tuachan's production of Disney's Aladdin. I was very impressed with what I saw. The only problem was that I was still in my OBA worm-ups--BLACK warm-ups--and I was sweating like a pig. Besides that, I was so ridiculously thristy I could not wait for intermission. Is that bad? Well, anyway, the middle number ended and we dashed up the steps to the bathroom so we could get a stall without waiting in line. That was good! Then, to quench my thirst, I decided to buy a frozen lemonade. Let me tell you, of all things I could have bought, I chose THAT?! Yes, and it in no way helped my parched tongue. But that's okay. The show was quite incredible, and it was enjoyable to watch all of the Company members standing out in their black warm-ups. Looking like a unified team was extra special. :)
I went to bed that night exhausted. There was no way I had the time or energy to wash the curls from my hair and the dirt and sweat (I know, see how graphic I am?) from my body. I just went to bed. So did we all.
Thursday morning was the time to jump out of bed, eat continental breakfast, and get ourselves to a workshop held inside Tuachan's performing arts high school. A very nice girl who was one of the cast members of Hairspray taught our workshop. We learned dances from the show, and learned about good performance skills. Then we asked her questions about the life of a performer, and finally begged her to sing for us. She did, and she had a beautiful voice!
After the workshop, we left with our cars to go do whatever. We chose...SHOPPING! This was full-on hardcore intense shopping I've never had the privilege of doing. (My mom detests shopping and will not do it if she has a choice.) I guess I've been raised mostly in my mother's ways, so this was something very new. We went to two little boutiques, and in one of which I tried on this fabulous blue vintage dress that I would have bought had I had the money. None of us did. It was $150. Then we went to Gap, which was having this very good sale, and I still could only afford two pairs of shorts. They were $40 each, but it was buy one get one free, so I got two pairs for that much. They were really cute shorts, thank you Camille! :)
We arrived back at the Ramada with just enough time to touch-up our hair, do our makeup, and get dressed for our show. The bad news was, I didn't have time to take a much needed shower, but the good news was my hair was still curly from the day before, so just had to curl a couple of pieces. We drove off to Tuachan, and there we performed our two other sections. I had three solos, which I never would have expected or asked for--thank you!, but they were all in these two sections, all in one night. My parents and grandparents were there to cheer me on...and so were a few very kind and considerate Tuachan cast members! I was excited and motivated to see who was in our audience, but my sore throat was holding me back quite a bit. It was frusterating, at times, but I did try to do my best. After our pre-show performance, we got ready for Hairspray. After that funny show, we met with some of the cast members--they come out after each show--and it was a blast talking to them. Some of them complimented us on OUR show, and I felt very grateful and loved at that moment. :D
We went home, and I finally took a shower, then I went to bed!
Last day, Friday, we had one last workshop. She was a very talented actress and singer who played big roles at Tuachan and other places such as Madam Thenardier in Les Miserables, and Ursela in Disney's The Little Mermaid. We talked about lots of important things in performance, performance life, and other things along those lines. I really enjoyed her. Concluding our discussion, we performed a couple of numbers for her, she gave us feedback, and then we were free to go home. My mom picked me up, and took me to a Marriott in St. George. We stayed there that day, all through Friday night and into Saturday morning.
Saturday, my mom and I left for Ceder City. We would be joining Grandma and Grandpa for the Shakespeare Festival's production of...my very favorite in the world...Les Miserables. I will admit it, I cried during the show, but who doesn't? It's just a lovely piece of art... mastery at it's finest. Anyway, we drove home afterward.

The End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment